This position will be based in: Bogotá, Colombia
Country Director Colombia
As a member of the Latin America and the Caribbean Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in the region. The role holder will have direct accountabilities for all aspects of the Colombia Country office.
The Country Director will continue to strengthen the management of the country, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy within the country through:
• Advocating for the rights of children.
• Delivering quality programmes for children, families, and vulnerable communities.
• Ensuring world class stewardship of resources from Members and their donors.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Regional Senior Leadership Team, contribute to strategic development and delivery of international programming, in both humanitarian and development contexts, in line with the Save the Children mandate, strategy, and theory of change.
Deliver transformational change in-country, including:
- Developing and delivering improved outcomes for children through delivery of the Save the Children global programme strategy.
- Engaging Save the Children staff, partners, and other stakeholders to create real shared ownership and collaboration.
- Working to develop local solutions to country issues in close partnership with local actors and in ways which promote a net shift of power to local and national actors.
- Creating an environment of continuous learning, where staff are encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments.
- Ensuring that the focus of the organisation remains on the rights and needs of children.
Be accountable, and develop the capacity of, mentor and hold staff accountable for:
- Developing strong country strategy and operational plans that identify and address significant issues facing children, and are in line with Save the Children’s global strategy and theory of change.
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to major emergencies affecting children, including building relationships with key humanitarian and development decision-makers and local and national actors.
- Delivering programmes and advocacy in line with the country strategy, operational plans, budgets and Save the Children Member requirements that result in significant impact for children.
- Developing and maintaining good relations with Save the Children Members and their donors.
- Growing the country programme to become the leading NGO addressing children’s issues in the country.
- Developing and maintaining efficient and effective operating systems, and ensure compliance with all Save the Children Quality Framework for Country Office Management, with a particular focus on risk mitigation, child safeguarding, fraud prevention, and safety & security management.
- Developing and coaching staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Save the Children’s objectives.
- Contributing to global knowledge and learning in Save the Children.
Ensure the continued financial and programmatic sustainability of Save the Children in Colombia by:
- Work closely with SC Members to develop a strong and strategic portfolio of awards designed to further the country strategic plan.
- Engage with local and international donors to identify funding opportunities sand to project the stable, efficient and competent organization to partner with.
- Develop and support the implementation of a strong resource mobilization strategy that furthers the country strategic plan.
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in the Country and promote collaboration and funding.
- Report to and work closely with the Board to seek their involvement in fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Represent the company at social and corporate events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate SC’s message. Develop and support the implementation of a strong fundraising strategy that increase unrestricted funds.
- Serve as the legal representative of the foundation.
- Carry out the resolutions of the general assembly of members and adhere to the orders issued by it;
- Submit plans and programs for the foundation's development for review and consideration by the general assembly of members.
- Prepare the annual budget for the foundation, encompassing both income and expenses, and present it for evaluation by the Assembly.
- Periodically report to the General Assembly of Members on the organization's status and the achievement of its inherent objectives.
- Establish an advisory board composed of various professionals who are experts in a specialized area closely related to the mission of the Colombia office. This board is formed in a non-binding capacity for the organization's decisions but serves as a source of strategic advice.
- Together with the advisory board, strategies will be developed to ensure the successful implementation of the annual goals of the Colombia office.
- Lead on presenting SC’s activities and achievements to donors, government, and other policy makers.
- Ensure that we have the right staff participating in the right meetings to maximise our influence among donors and government departments as we work towards effective implementation of positive policy change.
- Establish Save the Children as the ‘go to’ force working with and for children.
This role/ holder will be expected to strive for a high-level of professional satisfaction and wellbeing among CO staff.
- Line manage and mentor the Senior Management Team
- Ensure that talent is developed across the CO.
- Ensure that compensation for all staff is based on SC principles of equity and fairness.
Audit, Compliance and Fraud
Save The Children is committed to being an effective steward of funds we receive from our various donors. We take compliance with their requirements and our own requirements very seriously. We also maintain a 'zero tolerance' policy toward fraudulent, dishonest, and corrupt practices. Where they are detected, it will be investigated and take appropriate action against staff, volunteers, partners, vendors, suppliers, and any other implicated party. Therefore, the Country Director is accountable for the implementation of and compliance with all aspects of the Anti-Fraud policy.
- Ensure compliance with all host government requirements in relation to registration, taxation, labour law, auditing, fraud etc.
- Ensure that internal and external audits are undertaken in a timely and efficient manner in line with policy and back donor and host government requirements.
- Ensure follow-up on recommendations arising out of audits of operations and take appropriate actions where necessary.
- Ensure all incidents of fraud are rapidly investigated, with decisive action taken and lessons learnt applied immediately and sustainably.
Save the Children is committed to minimizing safety and security risks to staff and ensuring staff are given training, support and information to reduce their risk exposure while maximizing the impact for children. Therefore, the Country Director is accountable for the implementation of and compliance with all aspects of the Safety and Security policy.
- Ensure the Country office has security plans and procedures in line with policies, systems, and guidelines.
- Maintain, document and communicate up to date analyses of the changing security context.
- Ensure all staff adhere to security guidelines.
Children who come into contact with Save the Children as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of child abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. The Country Director is accountable for the implementation of and compliance with all aspects of the policy.
- Understand and fulfil responsibilities in achieving compliance of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy standards.
- Provide overall leadership and oversight to the development of country level child safeguarding systems with the aim of achieving full compliance with the Child Safeguarding Policy’s criteria
To be successful, you will bring/have:
- Experienced leader who has held a senior position in a relatively complex organisation.
- Track record in recruiting, leading, and developing calibre specialist senior staff with a range of backgrounds and expertise.
- Track record in developing and empowering staff.
- Strategic thinker who is comfortable with developing ambitious business strategies and has a good track record of delivering on these.
- Ability to manage and motivate self and others to respond to a major crisis, requiring swift action and rapid changes in priorities.
- Evidence of identifying and building strategic and effective business networks at a senior level, which have resulted in clear business benefit for the organisation.
- Innovative approach to solving a range of complex issues and galvanising buy-in to the solutions at all levels.
- Experience working in a variety of cultures and countries.
- Spanish and English required.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Early applications will have priority. Qualified candidates could be interviewed before de application closing date.